Blackheads are a common form of comedonal acne. They can be cumbersome to get rid of and very ungainly to look at. But the right skincare combined with patience can help keep blackheads in check.
Tips for Blackhead Prevention
1. Control the urge to pick at them. This can transfer more oil and germs to the affected area and cause inflammation and infection. It can also lead to additional skin problems and even scarring,
2. Remember to use SPF. Never step out in the sun without using a good sunscreen or sunblock. UV-rays can damage the skin and aggravate the blackhead condition.
3. Use quality makeup. Use makeup specifically meant for acne-prone skin and avoid anything that is likely to add more oils to clog your skin.
4. Do not skip the moisturizer. Although you need to keep the skin oil-free, it is also important that you keep it nourished and hydrated. Choose a water-based moisturizer to help you do this.
5. Invest in a good cleanser. Most cleansers with AHA or BHA are good for treating and preventing blackheads. Salicyclic acid washes are a popular effective cleansing choice.
6. Exfoliate regularly. While it is important to exfoliate your skin to keep it clear of blackheads, also remember to not over-exfoliate. Exfoliating the skin can dry it out quickly, so choose exfoliators specifically meant for blackheads.(more…)